Are you a playwright? Do you live in or hail from Orange County, California? Then we invite you to submit your play to OC-centric: Orange County’s New Play Festival, which will take place in August at Chapman University in Orange.
Now in its fifth year, OC-centric presents fully staged productions of new plays from OC dramatists, featuring “a roster of fine acting talent assembled from the county's storefront theater scene” (OC WEEKLY), actors and directors from the greater Los Angeles area, and Chapman University students.
OC-centric has been hailed by the OC WEEKLY as “a welcome sight…in an era when theater is marginalized at best, ignored at worst,” and The Dramatist terms it “a major theatrical event for local playwrights.” In the past three years, we have produced new full-lengths from Erica Bennett, Megan Breen, Kerry Kazmierowicztrimm, Abbe Levine and Julie Tosh and one-acts from many other playwrights.
We are considering both full-length and one-act plays for 2015; we will likely produce 2 full-lengths and 2-3 one-acts next August. Each play we selected in 2014 received four performances during the festival.
Script submission details
* Submit scripts via email to firstname.lastname@example.org in PDF or MS Word format. In your email message, let us know a little about your connection to Orange County. (Again, the criteria for eligibility: you must either have grown up in Orange County, or you currently live in Orange County at least 6 months out of the year.)
* Submissions accepted through Sunday, January 11. Submissions after January 11 will not be considered.
* No submission fee.
* Playwrights will receive a small honorarium/royalty.
* No restrictions on language or subject matter, but no nudity.
* Sorry, no musicals.
* Plays should have casts of 12 or less and be producible in a black box theatre space with playing area of approximately 20' x 25'.
* Most of the characters in your play should be age 20-35, as Chapman University students will be playing some (and perhaps all) of the roles involved.
* Playwrights may submit 1 full-length play and/or 1 one-act play.
> Full-lengths = plays that run 60 minutes or longer.
> One-acts = plays that run 15-45 minutes.
* The playwright’s name and contact information must appear on the title page of the script(s).
Any questions may be directed to email@example.com. Information about past OC-centric festivals is at our website ... OC-centric.com
We look forward to reading your work!
Tamiko Washington (Chapman University Professor), Artistic Director
Eric Eberwein (Director, Orange County Playwrights Alliance), Associate Artistic Director